palindromes

Outside in and inside out! A place to store ideas about education.

Friday, July 08, 2005

Discipline

What's in a word?

Discipline. If a disciple is a follower, then "discipline" means "to follow something". Self-discipline means to cause yourself to follow something, usually a rule or command or a self-imposed schedule. Disciplinarian (as in parents, adminstrators) are those who are finicky about people following rules. And a Disciplinary Tribunal is one who tries to enforce rules by giving sanctions to those who didn't. An unenviable place. Especially for one so idiosyncratic as myself.

I remember having a tickler in which I placed my plans, the schedule of my daily life. Eventually, I kept putting the same thing over and over again, a victim of procastination. It is hard to keep to a schedule, especially one done without much thought and without much consideration of self and others. It's hard to schedule a life predominantly left to chance. It's hard to let go of really deeply ingrained habits. Easier to float around without want and without direction, than to stake a claim into the future and work hard for it, and fight tooth and limb if need be, conquer lack of self-worth to be able to assert one's rights and needs.

So as I sit in a Student's Disciplinary Tribunal, I am actually subjecting myself to judgement. One so insignificant as myself, a liar and a cheat. I don't believe I will come out of this adventure unscathed, for with every sentence I pronounce, with every "guilty" or "not guilty", with every warning or suspension or dismissal, I face my own demons. By the One who created all, everything has its own place, even the so-called judgement of one who will in turn be judged. So interfere I would in the lives of people I have no knowledge of, other than their perceived mistakes, or lack of judgement, or disregard for written rules in the conduct of a UP student... Ah, but I would see myself in all of them, see myself and rue!

No, I will not run from the trial of my life. Because, in the end, everyone will be called to account.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

whoa! ang lalim nito ah. :) galing ng pagkagawa. Go Mam sol!

2:29 PM  
Blogger Raipo said...

Hi maam! Just dropping by. You've got a great way with words Ma'am, gleng-gleng!

Added your blog to my links! Check it out!

4:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

disciple-(from the Latin discipulus, a pupil) is one who receives instruction from another; a scholar; a learner; especially, a follower who has learned to believe in the truth of the doctrine of his teacher; an adherent in doctrine While often used for the followers of Jesus, it can also refer to the followers of any teacher (e.g., the disciples of Plato).

discipline-a branch of knowledge; "in what discipline is his doctorate?"; "teachers should be well trained in their subject"; "anthropology is the study of human beings"
a system of rules of conduct or method of practice; "he quickly learned the discipline of prison routine" or "for such a plan to work requires discipline";
the trait of being well behaved; "he insisted on discipline among the troops"
training to improve strength or self-control
train by instruction and practice; especially to teach self-control; "Parents must discipline their children"; "Is this dog trained?"
the act of punishing; "the offenders deserved the harsh discipline they received"
punish in order to gain control or enforce obedience; "The teacher disciplined the pupils rather frequently"

are both inseparable?(just asking..hik!)

12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home